Academic Forensic/Autopsy Pathologist Opportunity in Greenville, NC
NOT ACCEPTING CANDIDATES FROM SEARCH FIRMS FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY
The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University is seeking a forensic/autopsy pathologist. Applicants should be board certified in AP or AP/CP and will be expected to obtain forensic Pathology board certification within one year of hire. Knowledge of principles, practices, techniques, and advances in the field of forensic pathology and medicolegal death investigation is preferred.
- Employment by East Carolina University
- Hospital privileges at Vidant Medical Center, one of four academic medical centers in North Carolina
- Established program with two forensic pathologists in the Eastern Regional Autopsy Center in Greenville, North Carolina
- Eastern Regional Autopsy Center completes 600 medical examiner autopsies and 300 external examinations annually
- Center also serves at the autopsy service for Vidant Medical Center, teaching hospital for the Brody School of Medicine, by completing 80-100 medical autopsies each year
- Assistant or Associate Professor commensurate with qualifications
Job Duties include:
- Reviewing investigative reports to determine jurisdiction.
- Determining the need and extent of postmortem examination.
- Direction of assistants in preparing bodies for autopsy including appropriate photography for documentation.
- Performing autopsies and obtaining appropriate specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Performing microscopic analysis when appropriate.
- Determination of cause and manner of death.
- Preparation and completion of reports of findings in a timely manner.
- Review of current literature as necessary to assist in formulation of decisions.
- Provide expert witness testimony in court.
Teaching of medical students, residents, fellows and law enforcement personnel.
- Consult with prosecution and defense attorneys in preparation for court proceedings
The School of Medicine provides accredited education programs for medical students, residents and fellows, doctoral students in the basic medical sciences, and practicing physicians. The hallmarks of these programs are close-faculty student interaction, experiential learning, and development of students’ ability to continue learning even after they leave the formal educational setting. Our education programs are consistent with our missions of enhancing generalist training and offering opportunities in medicine to minority and disadvantaged students.
Widely recognized as the thriving cultural, educational, economic and medical hub of eastern North Carolina, Greenville is the 10th largest city in the state with a metropolitan population of nearly 100,000. The Dickinson Avenue Arts District offers a vibrant arts, music, culinary and festival scene in the Uptown Greenville district. Greenville is also home to East Carolina University, the Brody School of Medicine, and Pitt Community College. Excellent affordability, convenient location and natural resources combined with all of the amenities of a metropolitan university town, Greenville is the perfect place to live, work and play!
- Located inland off of the North Carolina coast, Greenville is 45 miles east of interstate 95, just over an hour to Raleigh, a little over an hour to the pristine beaches of the Crystal Coast of NC
- Home to East Carolina University (ECU), a vibrant university with an annual enrollment of more than 24,000 students
- Numerous waterways and the Greenville Greenway System are perfect for boating, kayaking, fishing, hiking and camping
- Mild climate perfect for year-round outdoor activities
- Cost of living below the national average, diverse and affordable housing and excellent educational opportunities, both public and private
- Investment of more than $500 million in downtown Greenville’s revitalization bringing new restaurants, shops, businesses, and residents to the area
If you, or a colleague, are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please contact Ashley Rudolph at (252) 847-1944 or Ashley.Rudolph@vidanthealth.com.