Hospitalist Opportunity Erie PA VAMC
The Erie Pennsylvania VA Medical Center has an immediate opening for a Full-Time Hospitalist!
As a Hospitalist on our staff, you will have the opportunity to provide excellent care with a dynamic team in a state of the art facility. Physicians working at the Erie VA Medical Center enjoy working in a professionally stimulating environment that provides every opportunity to focus on the practice of medicine. Many of the burdensome administrative details usually found in private practice are handled by support staff so that VA physicians can spend their time on patient care, not on running a business. This approach offers a unique freedom of practice to VA physicians and contributes towards providing the highest level of quality care to the Nation’s veterans.
VA provides a supportive environment that contributes to the delivery of quality health care. VA physicians also enjoy a quality of life that simply can’t be found in private practice. With predictable work hours and conditions, VA physicians are able to take time for themselves and their families. In addition to professional and personal rewards, VA also offers extensive employment benefits and educational opportunities.
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave – you can carry over up to 86 days into a new year
- 13 Days paid sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation – unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Federal holidays per year with pay
- 5 - 10 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses (subject to budget availability)
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA) Lifetime Healthcare Insurance options available.
- Dental& Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government.
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years’ service
In 1951, The Erie community received a brand new medical center solely for the care of veterans. We have the honor and privilege to serve veterans in a nine-county area within Northwestern Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio, and Southwestern New York. We are honored to serve those who lived a commitment to protect our nation.
Erie is centrally located and is only a two hour drive to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Canada.
Erie has a number of colleges and universities, including: Penn State Erie The Behrend College, Mercyhurst College, Gannon University, Edinboro University, LECOM Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, and Center for Advanced Manufacturing (CAMtech).
Some of the best fishing in the Region takes place in Lake Erie and its tributaries. Field and Stream Magazine ranks Presque Isle "one of the top 20 family fishing spots in the nation." An average of 1.5 million fish are caught each year in the area.