Associate Chief for Learning Healthcare System Research
The Wake Forest Department of Internal Medicine seeks an experienced investigator with expertise in health services or healthcare delivery research to serve as Associate Chief for Learning Healthcare System (LHS) Research. The successful candidate will work closely with the Department Chair, Section Chiefs of Hospital Medicine and General Internal Medicine, and other Wake Forest Baptist Health leaders and will play a formative role in the development of a preeminent program in LHS relevant research in the Department’s Section of General Internal Medicine and Section of Hospital Medicine. Candidates will possess an MD and/or PhD degree in a related discipline. This is an outstanding opportunity to join a dynamic academic medical center that has seen significant growth in its externally funded research and that has emerged as a national leader in the delivery of high-value population-based healthcare. The Department currently ranks 28th nationally among departments of internal medicine for NIH funding.
The successful candidate will benefit from a highly interdisciplinary environment with a long tradition of fostering collaborative research. The Department of Internal Medicine enjoys strong relationships with the Division of Public Health Sciences and its Departments of Biostatistical Sciences, Epidemiology and Prevention, Social Sciences and Health Policy, and Implementation Science, as well as close ties to the recently established Centers for Healthcare Innovation and Biomedical Informatics and the Wake Forest Clinical and Translational Science Institute, which is funded through the NIH CTSA Program and has a central focus on supporting Wake Forest’s evolution as a LHS. Additionally, the academic enterprise and health system share a single governance structure, creating perfect alignment for LHS research and innovation.
Applicants should have an established track record in obtaining extramural funding and in mentoring junior faculty and fellows. Expertise in the areas of comparative effectiveness research, implementation science, or healthcare informatics is highly desirable. Applicants will be eligible for a tenured faculty appointment at the Associate Professor or Professor level. The level of academic appointment will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience. The applicant chosen for the position will be provided with substantial institutional resources to develop the LHS research program.
Specific expectations for the position include:
- Articulate a compelling vision for LHS research in the Department of Internal Medicine.
- Lead the recruitment of new research faculty in the Sections of General Internal Medicine and Hospital Medicine.
- Grow an integrated program of LHS research across the Department of Internal Medicine, in collaboration with Section Chiefs.
- Maintain a strong track record of scholarship and of independently funded research and mentor newly recruited research faculty.
- Establish a research core with expertise in project coordination and data management and analysis to support LHS research in the Department.
- Oversee the Department’s recently established LHS Pilot Grant Program.
- Mobilize Wake Forest Baptist Health as a laboratory for healthcare innovation and work with institutional leaders to identify opportunities for health system improvement that could be the focus of LHS related research.
- Develop and maintain a high level of external visibility and participate in national professional societies, study sections, and other relevant platforms.
Wake Forest Baptist Health is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to achieving diversity among its faculty and staff. To apply, please send a curriculum vitae and cover letter expressing interest in the position to:
David P. Miller, Jr, MD, MS
Professor of Internal Medicine and Public Health Sciences
Chair, Search Committee
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with a population of approximately 220,000, is home to Wake Forest Baptist Health. The city is nestled in the northwestern region of North Carolina, within easy driving distance to the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and the pristine beaches of North Carolina.