Adding Neuro Ophthalmologist at OSU Havener Eye and Ear Institute
The Havener Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science at The Ohio State University is a growing practice. We are currently seeking applicants for a full-time faculty position in the Neuro Ophthalmology division. This is an open search for tenure or non-tenure track at the Assistant Professor level or higher commensurate with experience. This individual will be responsible for patient care, research, and education at OSU Wexner Medical Center in the area of neuro ophthalmology.
The Ohio State University prides itself in being one of the largest universities in the country. The Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science has been established for over 100 years. The Havener Eye Institute is located in the Eye and Ear Institute building which is a newly constructed state-of-the art facility that offers an on-site outpatient surgical center. We strive to provide the highest quality of care for our patients with the latest surgical equipment and instrumentation. It is located in Columbus, Ohio- a vibrant community with a culturally diverse 1.8 million population base. Columbus is the third fastest growing major metropolitan area in the Midwest and the 14th largest city in the nation. It is consistently ranked in the top in nearly every category – economic growth, things to do, affordable cost of living, and great place to raise a family. The cost of living is low and there are many sporting, dining and recreational opportunities in the city (Check out www.experiencecolumbus.com). Columbus is home to several Fortune 500 companies and ranks in Money Magazine’s picks as one of the ten best big cities.
Applicants must be board eligible or board certified in Ophthalmology by the time of appointment, and be eligible for licensure in the State of Ohio. Qualified candidates must hold an MD or DO degree and have completed an approved residency program in Ophthalmology and fellowship training in Neuro Ophthalmology. Academic rank and salary are commensurate with experience and academic credentials. Knowledge and proficiency in medical and surgical management of Neuro Ophthalmology. Demonstrated interest in scholarship and discovery by evidence of basic and/or clinical applied research and publications. Commitment to resident, fellow and medical student education is required.
Please send curriculum vitae to:
Kam Carlberg, Faculty Recruiter
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
The Havener Eye Institute seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, and community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The Ohio State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Practice where the ambition is to find breakthrough healthcare solutions that improve patient lives
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center will challenge you, reward you and give you the chance to make an impact through high-quality, safe, efficient, patient-centered care. As the only academic medical center in central Ohio, we can offer you the personal growth opportunities and diverse patient cases that can fuel a career from day one to retirement.
As a valued member of a multidisciplinary team, you’ll have access to the resources, research and support you need to excel. The Ohio State University, one of the largest universities in the nation, furthers our dynamic environment and strengthens clinical practices with education and research possibilities as broad as your imagination. You can choose the track of practice that best suits your interests: clinical, clinical-research or research.
We have been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report for the 26th year in a row. Because of our size, our patient population presents cases from simple to complex, with a range of unique co-morbidities, so if you want to challenge and expand your medical expertise, come to Ohio State.
Wexner Medical Center Stats
- University Hospital
- University Hospital East
- Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute
- Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital
- Brain and Spine Hospital
- Ohio State Harding Hospital
- Dodd Rehabilitation Hospital
More than 100 central Ohio facilities
- Jameson Crane Sports Medicine Institute
- Talbot Addiction Medicine
- Ohio State Eye and Ear Institute
- Ohio State Integrative Medicine
- Walk-in Care Clinic
- Two AfterHours Care locations
- Nine multispecialty community locations
Beds - 1,443
Patient admissions (FY18) – 64,529
Outpatient visits (FY18) – 1.81 million
Births (FY18) – 5,264
Emergency Department visits (FY18) – 130,916
Surgeries (FY18) – 44,888
Employees – 29,123
Physicians – 1,753
Residents and fellows – 879
Nursing staff – 4,949
Volunteers – 1,703
- Ranked for 26 consecutive years by U.S. News & World Report. Only 26 hospitals out of nearly 5,000 in the nation were ranked in 10 specialties or more. Our 10 ranked specialties are:
Points of pride for the Wexner Medical Center
- Five of Ohio’s top high-risk pregnancy specialists practice at Ohio State
- 15 hospitals affiliated with the Ohio State Health Network
- $156 million dollars in cancer research funding raised in nine years through Pelotonia, the annual cycling event benefitting cancer research at Ohio State
- 250 research grant awards totaling $100+ million in FY18
- One of the nation’s busiest kidney transplant hospitals
- One of only five designated NeuroRecovery Network® spinal cord injury rehabilitation centers in the nation
- More than 9,500 lifesaving transplants performed since 1967
- 2 percent of hospitals in the United States – Ohio State among them – have been redesignated Magnet® facilities
- Provided more than $215 million in annual community benefits through charity care and outreach
- One of only 49 comprehensive cancer centers designated by National Cancer Institute
- Seven health sciences colleges on one campus, fostering unmatched opportunity for collaboration and discovery
- 62 accredited fellowship and residency programs train more than 800 medical professionals each year
- One of only 64 members of a National Institutes of Health consortium that speeds the translation of scientific discovery into better patient care
- The 2017 Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research Rankings, a compilation of NIH funding rankings for U.S. medical schools, placed four of our programs in the top 20 and one of our programs in the top 10 nationwide
- Four faculty members currently elected to the National Academy of Medicine and two to the National Academy of Sciences
- One of only 49 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers (CCCs) in the United States; the NCI named our CCC “exceptional” – its highest ranking
- Houses or co-manages more than 20 research centers and institutes and 25 core research laboratories
- More than 2,000 active research studies and clinical trials in virtually every medical specialty
- The College of Medicine ranked 32nd by U.S. News & World Report and 12th among public medical schools in its 2019 “Best Graduate Schools” list
- U.S. News & World Report ranked our online bachelor’s programs #1 in the nation among online colleges, which includes the online Health Sciences undergrad degree from the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- The College of Medicine received 7,226 applications for its 2018 entering medical class of 202 students
- The Association of American Medical Colleges in 2018 ranked our College of Medicine sixth out of more than 150 medical schools for total number of African-American students enrolled
- One of the few universities in the world to offer five dual medical degrees: MD/PhD (Medical Scientist); MD/MBA (Business Administration); MD/JD (Law); MD/MHA (Health Administration); MD/MPH (Public Health)
- The College of Medicine has 2,568 students and 23 programs (11 undergrad, 11 graduate and 1 professional)
- More than 800 residents and fellows train in more than 60 accredited graduate and residency programs each year
- More than 14,000 College of Medicine MD and residency program graduates practice in all 50 states and in more than 50 countries
- Users in approximately 150 countries access our web-based and live continuing medical education activities annually
- U.S. News & World Report has named us to its list of America’s “Best Hospitals,” based on quality, outcomes and reputation, for the 26th consecutive year
- Becker’s Hospital Review selected us for its 2018 list of “100 Great Hospitals in America” for excellence in quality patient care and clinical research, leadership in innovation and our rankings and awards
- The Leapfrog Group has once again honored Wexner Medical Center and UH East with an “A” in its Spring 2018 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade for being among the safest hospitals in the nation
- Among the 9 percent in the U.S. to receive the highest rating of five stars in the most recent update to the Hospital Compare website of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- For the third year in a row, Vizient honored us with its Quality Leadership Award for superior performance in delivering high-quality safe, efficient, patient-centered and equitable patient care
- First hospital in central Ohio to achieve Magnet® status for nursing excellence; first hospital in central Ohio to earn Magnet® redesignation
We understand that moving is a big deal and you’re interested in what life will look like beyond the hospital walls. You’re in luck. It’s likely that Columbus has more than you expected. Of course, we love our city – it’s a great place to start out, to stay, to raise a family, to explore – but we’re admittedly partial.
From historic communities and suburban living to college crowds and nightlife, Columbus is a friendly Midwestern town with metropolitan style. The city is renowned for its leading technological companies, vast academic resources, thriving industry and eclectic mix of entertainment, dining and shopping.
This video will give you a quick overview of our city.