Clinical Quality and Safety - Associate Division Head, Hospital Medicine Opportunity
IHA has an excellent full time employment opportunity for a Hospital Medicine physician to fill the role of Associate Division Head for Clinical Quality and Safety within IHA Hospital Medicine located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The Associate Division Head is highly valued as the representative of the IHA Hospital Medicine Service. This individual is carefully chosen to lead his/her hospitalist team in the delivery of excellent medical care while remaining aligned with the IHA Hospital Medicine Service vision. This vision is extensive and includes IHA Hospital Medicine Service communications and administrative issues within the hospital, relations with the hospital staff and the community physicians. The Associate Division Head’s effectiveness rests on his/her understanding and alignment with the IHA Hospital Medicine Service vision and programs.
The Associate Division Head will support IHA, the Hospital, Division Head and the Division in the following:
- Acts as a mentor and role model for Division providers in providing quality patient centered care and fulfilling the expectations as outlined in the Hospitalist job description.
- Encourages Hospitalists’ input and coaches the implementation of improvements concerning the quality and safety of care delivery within the hospital. Helps design and improve workflows within hospital medicine to facilitate provider compliance and effectiveness in meeting quality, safety, and utilization objectives in all sites where IHA Hospital Medicine Services provides patient care.
- Strives to build a hospital environment promoting trust and collegiality through healthy working relations with the hospital’s medical staff.
- Acts as the clinical quality liaison between hospital and outpatient medicine, more specifically concerning transitions in care, communication standards and workflows with a focus on readmissions.
- Works with patient experience teams from hospital and IHA to improve patient care experience related to physician communication.
- Works to advocate for efficient utilization of hospital resources.
- Develop and maintain dashboards demonstrating current state progress on Hospital Medicine Quality and Patient Safety related metrics across all sites for IHA Hospital Medicine, work collaboratively with Hospital to develop benchmarks and provide updates as appropriate to providers, IHA leadership and Hospital Leadership.
- Meets regularly with Division Head and IHA and Hospital leadership to review and prioritize quality initiatives and programs for hospitalist implementation.
- Meets at appropriate frequency with Site Medical Directors to develop priorities, goals, track progress and develop action plans as it relates to the individual practice. Participates in establishing Quality Metrics for the practice.
- Actively attends and contributes to IHA and Hospital Quality and Safety meetings with updates to Division Head and hospitalists. Meetings include, but not limited to,
- Care Team Steering Committee
- Hospitalist-Nursing Leadership
- Hospital Department of Internal Medicine and Section Head
- Hospitalists Leadership
- Morbidity & Mortality Review
- Helps participate in hospitalist involved Root Cause Analysis meetings.
- Assists and contributes to the performance reviews of Hospitalists as well as APPs that are part of the service.
- Chairs the Care Team Steering Committee.
- Works closely with the Hospital’s Chief Quality Officer to Champion Trinity’s Zero Harm Initiatives.
- Assumes additional duties as required.
Organizational expectations for this opportunity include:
- Creates a positive, professional, service-oriented work environment for staff, patients and family members by supporting the IHA CARES mission and core values statement.
- Must be able to work effectively as a member of the leadership team.
- Successfully completes IHA’s “The Customer” training and adheres to IHA’s standard of promptly providing a high level of service and respect to internal or external customers.
- Maintains knowledge of and complies with IHA standards, policies and procedures, including IHA’s Employee Handbook.
- Maintains strict patient and employee confidentiality in compliance with IHA and HIPAA guidelines.
- Serves as a role model, by demonstrating exceptional ability and willingness to take on new and additional responsibilities. Embraces new ideas and respect cultural differences.
- Uses resources efficiently.
- If applicable, responsible for ongoing professional development – maintains appropriate licensure/certification and continuing education credentials, participates in available learning opportunities.
Success in the role will be measured by:
- Reduce 30-day re-admission rates.
- Identify inpatient and/or outpatient disease specific work flows to improve quality of care for patients with chronic illnesses.
- Identify and/or create disease specific educational materials to help patients maintain quality health and reduce hospital utilization.
- Identify opportunities and reduce utilization of unnecessary admissions to acute or sub-acute care facilities.
- Identify opportunities and reduce utilization of unnecessary inpatient procedures, inpatient diagnostic testing.
- Improve and maintain hospitalist physician communication scores on HCAHPS survey.
- Improve and maintain hospitalist engagement and satisfaction scores.
- Improve and maintain hospital and hospitalist culture of safety scores.
Essential qualifications for this role include completion of an M.D. or D.O. degree with current board certification in a relevant medical specialty. Medical staff appointments are required at Trinity Health hospitals such as St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor, St. Mary Mercy Livonia, St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea, and St. Joseph Mercy Livingston. The selected candidate must possess, or be eligible to obtain a valid, active license to practice medicine in the State of Michigan with a minimum of three years’ experience practicing in a Hospital based group practice setting.
Preference will be shown to candidates who possess additional post residency training specifically focused on hospital medicine. This can be acquired through other indicators of expertise in the field such as Society of Hospital Medicine’s Fellowship in Hospital Medicine (FHM) or the American Board of Internal Medicine’s Recognition of Focused Practice (RFP) in Hospital Medicine (Society of Hospital Medicine).
The successful candidate will also possess strong personal communication skills, an appreciation of (or willingness to learn about) financial issues, and a strategic orientation towards customer service are prerequisites for success. In addition, an orientation towards collaboratively problem solving by including providers and staff in efforts to continually improve all areas of quality.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right Hospital Medicine to be an integral member of a well-established and respected multi-specialty group.
An excellent compensation and benefits package is available for the right candidate including:
- Competitive base rate and compensation plan
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Benefits; 403b, 457
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Profession Malpractice Coverage with Tail Coverage
IHA is one of the best and largest multi-specialty groups in Michigan. IHA employs more than 1,600 staff members, which includes more than 520 providers consisting of: physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and midwives in approximately 60 practice locations across Southeast Michigan. IHA provides high-quality medical care and excellent service to nearly 410,000 active patients.
Recognized as Metro Detroit’s Top Physician Group by Consumer Reports magazine, IHA also ranks in the top quartile for patient satisfaction nationally. Offering extended office hours and urgent care services, along with online patient diagnosis, treatment and appointment access tools. IHA demonstrates that it cares by bringing safe, high-quality, comprehensive and affordable care to its patients. For more information about IHA, visit www.ihacares.com.
Ann Arbor, Michigan offers a bustling downtown and charming tree-lined neighborhoods making it a safe and ideal place to live, learn, work, and raise a family. More than 114,000 residents live within the City’s 28 square miles and Ann Arbor is a hub for excellence in education, boasting five colleges and universities. The City’s acclaimed public school system has adapted a comprehensive academic achievement plan to help ensure all students are successful.
People are drawn to Ann Arbor for its eclectic urban setting and its acres of parks and trees. The cosmopolitan college town boasts fine to casual dining and world class shopping. Action packed sporting events come courtesy of the University of Michigan. Cultural experiences including museums, galleries, and a performing arts center make Ann Arbor a destination for art aficionados of any age. Endless opportunities for recreation are available in Ann Arbor, which operates 157 parks, trails, golf, canoe liveries, tennis courts, athletic fields and more. One of the most environmentally friendly cities around, Ann Arbor has a progressive recycling program and takes great measures toward the preservation of the City’s green space.
Ann Arbor regularly receives national attention as one of the best places to live in the United States.
For more information about Ann Arbor, Michigan visit www.annarbor.com
Trinity Health is one of the largest multi-institutional Catholic health care delivery systems in the nation. We serve people and communities in 22 states from coast to coast with more than 90 hospitals and 120 continuing care facilities – including home care, hospice, PACE and senior living facilities and programs that provide nearly two million visits annually. Trinity Health employs more than 131,000 colleagues, including 5,300 employed physicians.
Our mission: We, Trinity Health, serve together in the spirit of the Gospel as a compassionate and transforming healing presence within our communities. We support this mission by living our core values of Reverence, Commitment to Those Who are Poor, Justice, Stewardship, and Integrity. Committed to recruiting talented physicians, we are looking for physicians who share our values and want to help us fulfill the health care needs of the communities we serve.
At Trinity Health, we value the physician relationship and focus on partnering with our physicians. Whether you are a practicing physician looking to relocate or a medical resident, we offer opportunities with the flexibility to fit your individual needs. If you would like to be part of Trinity Health, we encourage you to explore this opportunity at www.trinity-health.org.
If you are interested in this opportunity and would like to submit your CV, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Trinity Health Physician Recruitment at (734) 343-2300.