Vice President - Chief Medical Officer - CMO
As the Chief Medical Officer you bring strong leadership talents to inspire, guide, and grow our Hospital Medical Staff as we provide the highest quality of medical care to our patients at Saint Joseph Hospital. You are a member of the senior leadership team and will work alongside other leaders who bring the same passion to advancing the long-standing legacy we’ve established here in Denver for delivering high value care over the last 145 years. As a servant leader you embody the SCL Health leadership behaviors:
- Accountability for results
- Engagement and enthusiasm for change
- Adaptability and continuous learning
- Trust, respect and collaboration
- Transparency and candor
- Efficient, data-driven decision-making
- Urgency and follow-through
As Chief Medical Officer you would report to the Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer for SCL Health and matrix to the President of Saint Joseph Hospital. You will interface closely with the other care site CMOs across the health system to advance clinical integration, leverage our skill and scale and to promote appropriate standardization and “systemness” of SCL Health. The cornerstone of this role is the development of meaningful relationships and ongoing dialogue and communication with leaders and other members of the hospital medical staff, work in collaboration the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) and their leaders to improve clinical outcomes; the ultimate result being the achievement of the “ideal patient experience” coupled with providing an engaging environment for all clinicians to practice medicine and provide care.
Another major aspect of this role will be working with our key partners in the market - Kaiser Permanente/Colorado Permanente Medical Group and National Jewish Health. National Jewish Health and Saint Joseph Hospital established a Joint Operating Agreement (JOA) over four years ago to leverage the strengths of both organizations in the market. You will serve on the JOA executive team, and work closely with National Jewish Health’s Chief Medical Officer and medical staff to develop service lines, monitor quality of care and find opportunities for clinical integration.
Benefits are one of the ways we encourage health for you and your family. Our generous package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. But health is more than a well-working body: it encompasses body, mind and social well-being. To that end, we’ve launched a Healthy Living program to address your holistic health as well. The executive package also includes a 401(k) with matching program, Supplemental Executive Retirement Plan (SERP), and annual incentive plan. To model a balanced life, our executives are encouraged to take time off and receive a front-loaded Paid Time Off allocation each year.
We expect excellence, which is why we require:
- MD or DO degree and board certified in a specialty or primary care field.
- At least ten years in the practice of medicine and five (5) years in a leadership role within a complex hospital or health system setting.
- Demonstrated progressive responsibility, authority, and accountability in physician leadership positions. A graduate business /management degree is desirable.
Working as a senior leader at Saint Joseph Hospital, the CMO will strive to ensure that the organization meets the strategic objectives set forth by the Board and executive leadership; critical to success in this role is the ability of the incumbent to: translate strategy into action plans; form close working relationships with the clinical and operations leaders within the care site; advocate for the use of the EMR and other clinical information systems; encourage benchmarking, sharing of best practices and collaboration among all clinicians; build momentum and excitement around physician engagement.
Primary responsibilities of this position will include:
- Medical Staff Liaison: Partners and collaborates with the medical staff and management team, facilitating teamwork and shared goals. Helps represent medical staff viewpoints to Administration and relays administrative views to medical staff. Ensures that clinical practice adheres to Ethical and Religious Directives (ERDs).
- Clinical Quality, Patient Safety and Service Excellence: Provides leadership and expertise to ensure that medical quality improvement and utilization management programs are carried out in clinical areas through the development and implementation of effective disease management programs, clinical protocols and guidelines, other decision tools, and review of outcomes. Takes a lead role on patient safety initiatives and ensures execution of improvement activities among the medical staff. Actively promotes a culture of safety. Integrate evidence-based medicine practices wherever possible and build this into new and existing patient care delivery systems.
- Utilization and Operation: Oversees the development, implementation and monitoring of medical policies and procedures (including case/disease management, utilization management and clinical programs) as they relate to overall delivery of health care and coordination of care. Works closely with Information Services Technology to ensure SJH remains on the “cutting edge” of technology in providing the most advanced, effective and efficient patient care available.
- Strategic Planning and Development: Develops and implements strategic plans specific to trends and changes in medical care and medical management, patient safety, and clinical quality; ensures that appropriate metrics are designed and implemented for comprehensive program(s) assessment. Monitors and ensures the achievement of desired outcomes. In particular, the CMO will play a key role in the development of key service lines, such as Cardiovascular, Women’s and Infants, Pulmonary/Critical Care, Oncology, and others. Continue implementation and strategic planning of partnerships with National Jewish Health, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Colorado Permanente Medical Group as well as our large base of affiliated and employed physicians. Participate with partners and SCL System in evaluation and implementation of population health management and other key organization strategy discussions.