Hematologist/Oncologist with Faculty Appointment - Salisbury, NC
Hematologist/Oncologist with Faculty Appointment
Answer the Call to Care for our Veterans
Salisbury W.G. (Bill) Hefner VA Medical Center – Salisbury, North Carolina
We are seeking an ABIM board certified or eligible Hematologist/Oncologist to join our Hem/Onc service within the Internal Medicine Specialty Service at the Salisbury Veterans Affairs Medical Center (SVAMC) in Salisbury, NC. You will be part of a Patient Aligned Care Team with a mix of 7 physicians, 2 advanced practice providers and nurses providing care for our veterans.
In addition to patient care, you may have responsibilities in other areas such as education and research. You will be responsible for providing primary, secondary and tertiary care in both hospitalized and outpatient settings, identifying patients' health problems and designing diagnostic and therapeutic plans to meet these needs. Also, you will be responsible for coordinating activities of other health service personnel, resolving problems affecting patient care and providing appropriate education for the patient and/or family members regarding the patient's illness and its management. You will have the opportunity to teach house staff, medical students and other health professionals during ward rounds, clinics and in conferences and provide supervisory control and professional direction for specialized diagnostic units in their field of expertise.
In addition, the Salisbury VA Healthcare System is affiliated with Wake Forest University and Wake Forest Baptist Health located in Winston Salem North Carolina. Faculty positions may be available for those who are interested in academic appointments.
The Medical Center is a 84-bed medical center that supports community-based outpatient clinics in nearby Charlotte and Winston-Salem, NC. Winston-Salem is the compensation and pension (C&P) clinic of jurisdiction for the State of North Carolina, facilitating the rating of veterans for compensation and pension purposes. Inpatient services are provided for acute medicine, cardiology, surgery, psychiatry, physical rehabilitation, subacute and extended care, neuropsychiatry services, psychiatric intensive care, and geropsychiatry. Primary and specialized outpatient services are provided at the medical center and outpatient clinics. The medical center is affiliated with Wake Forest University School of Medicine, with a focus on resident involvement in primary care, dermatology, rehabilitation, ophthalmology, and psychiatry. SVAMC is recognized as one of the largest employers in Rowan County and enjoys the recognition and respect of the community through an active outreach program.
Nestled in the Piedmont region of North Carolina, Salisbury provides citizens and visitors with a premier location for enjoying a blend of urban and rural lifestyles. Residents benefit from the quiet more relaxed atmosphere of a smaller community, while appreciating the quick access to the larger metro areas of Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point. With direct availability to major interstates and highways, the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and the sandy beaches along the Atlantic coastline become an easy and enjoyable drive for a quick get-away. And Rowan County is strategically located close to three international airports and numerous regional airports, in addition to being a frequent stop for the Amtrak rail service.
Salisbury is just an hour’s drive from Charlotte and the Greensboro and Winston-Salem areas where you’ll find both a quiet countryside filled with wineries and pick-your-own farms, and a bustling downtown district with breweries, historic trolleys, a thriving arts scene, and more. Salisbury is the home to famed North Carolina soft drink, Cheerwine, and the regional supermarket Food Lion. Salisbury is the birthplace of former US Senator Elizabeth Dole, financier and philanthropist Julian H. Robertson and retired NBA player Bobby Jackson. Salisbury is the site of a noted prisoner of war camp during the American Civil War and has ten National Register historic districts with many historic homes and commercial buildings dating from the 19th century and early 20th century, several of which are individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Salisbury also has a strong record of historic preservation.
So, if you’re interested in caring for veterans in a beautiful setting, while enjoying a work/life balance difficult to find in the private sector, this is an opportunity you need to check out. For more information, Email your CV to Don Rainwater, National Recruitment Consultant at email@example.com. Your inquiry will be held in confidence.
The VA offers benefits that are had to match in the private sector and include:
Paid Time Off:
- 26 days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave – you can carry over up to 86 days into a new year
- 13 days paid sick leave per year with unlimited carry over! Unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Paid federal holidays with pay
- Possible 5 Days paid Authorized Absence to attend CME
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government.
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS-FRAE basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees hired after January 1, 2014 automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee's salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee's salary
- Like the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service.
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years' service
The W.G. Hefner VAMC is a 484-bed medical center located in Salisbury, North Carolina. Inpatient services are provided for acute medicine, cardiology, surgery, psychiatry, physical rehabilitation, subacute and extended care, neuropsychiatry services, psychiatric intensive care, and geropsychiatry. Primary and specialized outpatient services are provided at the medical center and outpatient clinics. The medical center is affiliated with Wake Forest University School of Medicine, with a focus on resident involvement in primary care, dermatology, rehabilitation, ophthalmology, and psychiatry. The Salisbury VAMC is recognized as one of the largest employers in Rowan County and enjoys the recognition and respect of the community through an active outreach program.
Salisbury provides all the perks of a small town but is located just 40 minutes down Hwy I-85 from Charlotte,NC which is the 33rd largest metropolitan in the nation boasting 1.84 million in population. Both Greensboro, NC and Winston-Salem NC are located within 1 hours drive. Salisbury has a population of 26,548, and is the county seat of Rowan County. It is also the home of three colleges: Catawba College, Rowan-Cabarrus Community College and Livingstone College