- 400 Veterans Avenue
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave
- 13 Days paid sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation
- 11 paid Federal holidays per year
- 5 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA) Lifetime Healthcare Insurance options available
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits, 2) FERS-RAE basic benefits (pension), and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee’s salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee’s salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2020, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $19,500, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $25,500.
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years’ service
The Best Care and the Best Careers…The mission of the Veterans Healthcare System is to serve the needs of America's veterans by providing primary care, specialized care, and related medical and social support services. To accomplish this mission, the VA needs to be a comprehensive, integrated healthcare system that provides excellence in health care value, excellence in service as defined by its customers, and excellence in education and research, and needs to be an organization characterized by exceptional accountability and by being an employer of choice.
VA Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System… consists of a VHA facility in Biloxi, Mississippi. TVA Gulf Coast Veterans HCS also has Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC) and/or Outpatient Clinics in Mobile, Alabama; and Pensacola and Panama City, Florida, serving the four counties along the Alabama Gulf Coast, seven counties along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and the seven counties of the Florida Panhandle. The VA Gulf Coast Veterans HCS is a tertiary care facility classified at Clinical Referral Level Two. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services with state-of-the-art technology, education, and research. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary care, medicine, surgery, psychiatry, psychology, neurology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics, extended care, and physical medicine and rehabilitation. The VA Gulf Coast Veterans HCS is privileged to serve over 50,000 veterans.
The Mississippi Gulf Coast… overlooking the sparkling Gulf of Mexico and 26 miles of scenic coastal beaches. Residents can enjoy our world-class golf courses and championship fishing. Take in the artistic and historical museums. After a day of fun, you can begin an exciting evening with dinner at a local seafood restaurant before heading off to enjoy 24-hour gaming at one of the coast’s casino resorts. Mississippi's Gulf Coast hosts plentiful family attractions and is an ideal place to raise a family. For more information concerning the Biloxi Community, please visit: