Duke Orthopaedic Surgery/Rehabilitation & Duke Pediatrics Seeks Pediatric Rehabilitation Physiatrist
Duke Orthopaedic Surgery and Duke Pediatrics are seeking one Pediatric Rehabilitation Physiatrist to join an established Pediatrics Rehabilitation Medicine (PRM) Service in Durham, NC. Candidates must be board eligible or certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine fellowship training and board eligible or certified is recommended, but not required. Candidates without fellowship training must be passionate for the care of adolescents and transition to adulthood and will have the opportunity to grow in their career with current Faculty.
At Duke Health, we take an interdisciplinary approach to high level care of congenital and childhood-onset physical impairments, including but not limited to children and young adults with cerebral palsy, spina bifida, brain injury, spinal cord injury, and other congenital and acquired pediatric condition. Candidates must be committed to family-centered care to promote the active participation of the child, youth, and family through the processes of evaluation, diagnosis, and management of the child or youth’s disability.
Professional and Interpersonal Characteristics
Candidates for this position should be:
- Trained and confident in the identification of functional capabilities and selection of the best rehabilitation intervention strategies, with an understanding of the continuum of care throughout the course of disability.
- Confident in the medical management of neuromuscular conditions, prostheses and orthoses, and durable medical equipment.
- Forward-thinking, proactive, results-oriented leader with demonstrated skills in management systems/processes and knowledge of organizational behavior.
- An effective communicator about prognosis and treatment, and complex rehabilitation care coordination.
- Candidates for this position should excel at focal spasticity interventions including the use of multiple botulinum toxins types and/or phenol. Confidence with localization techniques including EMG/e-stem and ultrasound is a plus.
Based on the interest of Faculty, there will be opportunities in the following areas:
- Established interdisciplinary clinics for the following:
- Cerebral Palsy and Related Conditions
- Spina Bifida and Spinal Cord Injury
- Neurosurgical Spasticity Interventions
- Established Limb Loss clinic for patients of all ages
- Growing interdisciplinary care of patient with pediatric onset chronic pain
- Growing services for PRM adolescent transition to adulthood
- Disability advocacy at Duke and nationally
- Educational initiatives in disability and rehabilitation curricula in the School of Medicine.
- Leading and Developing research efforts to contribute to evidence-based care of PRM patients at the 3rd ranked School of Medicine in Research per USNWR
A national leader in research, patient care, and education, Duke Orthopaedic Surgery/Rehabilitation and Duke Pediatrics are experiencing tremendous growth and is seeking excellent candidates with great clinical acumen, maturity, and a commitment to provide Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine patients with high quality compassionate care.\
The greater Triangle area of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, has a population of more than two million residents that offers diverse opportunity. From urban loft living to suburban and rural family homes with acreage – there are options for every lifestyle. The Research Triangle Park (RTP) lies in the midst of the area, a globally prominent research and development center conceived around the main academic centers – Duke University, University of North Carolina, and North Carolina State University. This trio of leading universities, combined with the RTP, has helped create a region that is culturally diverse, economically resilient, and nationally recognized as a wonderful place to live. To learn more about the Duke and Greater Triangle communities, visit https://www.discoverdurham.com/
With a deep commitment to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, Duke University will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working, learning and care environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Please Note: In order to be considered for this position, you must attach your CV, select SUBMIT APPLICATION, and then complete the Duke required information on the following page.