Associate Chief Medical Officer - Medical and Surgical Specialties
Reporting to the Chief Medical Officer, ThedaCare Provider Network (TCPN) Ambulatory, the Associate CMO Medical and Surgical Specialties provides clinical leadership and strategic direction for all Medical Specialties in the TCPN. The Associate CMO will have a dyad partner relationship with VP Medical/Surgical specialties. In addition to providing clinical leadership, the Associate CMO will engage in setting and supporting the strategic direction of clinical operations as ThedaCare progresses on its journey as a Population Health Organization. This includes developing, implementation and adoption of innovative care delivery models, being engaged in and contributing to the successful execution of new and alternative payment models. The Associate CMO will engage with key stakeholders and partners across the ThedaCare Health Network (THN) to deliver on system-wide quality metrics and outcomes. The Associate CMO will provide leadership for activities which are directed at improving the performance, effectiveness, and quality of patient care. Oversees the quality of patient management, engages in clinical program development, and provides leadership in regulatory affairs across all medical specialties. This position will assist medical and surgical specialty care providers with any medical staff relationship within any of the acute care facilities. The Associate CMO is expected to be a leader in the decision-making process, and to maintain excellent interpersonal relationships with all physicians and staff.
Full-time, 0.8 FTE Administrative, 0.2 FTE Clinical
- Operationalizing the care team design including the roles of physicians and APCs on the care team along with the interaction of other clinical and operational staff. Ensures optimal clinical coverage and access at all medical specialty location.
- Develops physician and APC leaders within the medical specialty service lines and connects them with ongoing professional development, mentoring, maintaining competency, and opportunities for system level engagement.
- Collaborates with the ThedaCare recruitment team for primary care physician and APC recruitment and retention strategy. Is accountable for success of recruiting and retention.
- Develops, reviews, and revises surgical specialty and medical specialty ambulatory care policies to support best practices across the system. Aligns with the THN Committees and collaborates with other leaders to interpret policies and delivery of a population health care model creating value in patient centric care delivery.
- Participates in development of and function of workgroups specific to system metrics (e.g. inpatient mortality, ED visits/1000) in alignment with ThedaCare Health Network committees.
- Works with quality, operational and clinical leaders to create a safe environment operating on High Reliability principles.
- Oversight for Medical and Surgical specialty Peer Review, Operational Best Practices, clinic outcomes and provides leadership for the call group medical directors.
- Oversight of Verge Safety Events for medical and surgical specialty locations including participation in RCAs, countermeasure development, and implementation of countermeasures
- Assist with maintaining network integrity by building collaborative relations between all primary care and specialty providers of the ThedaCare Health Network.
- Provides input to Epic optimization and assists as needed with routine Epic upgrades as it relates to delivery of medical and surgical specialty services. Provides leadership to deploying all needed Epic modifications.
- Actively promotes system concept of care delivery to reduce unnecessary care variation and to improve the cost of care. Serves as champion to ThedaCare’s system goals.
- Other tasks as assigned by CMO TCPN, COO TCPN, or CCO.
ADDITIONAL CORE EXECUTIVE REQUIREMENTS:
Values Based Leader - Is an individual who demonstrates leadership that is consistent with the LifeInspired movement that incorporates ThedaCare’s mission, vision, values, principles and promise to our patients. Embodies the values and principles of compassion, leadership, excellence, innovation, and agility.
Credibility - Is an experienced leader with a big picture view and a track record of accomplishments and results with the appropriate urgency.
Synergistic Team Player - Possess strong relationship building skills that synergizes with peers, colleagues in senior management, other team members, board, employees, corporate and the community. An individual who genuinely enjoys working with others in a team-based environment. Viewed as a teacher always looking for root cause diagnosis, learning and interventions that last.
Passion for Core Mission - Creates an environment that nurtures integrity in others and self. Adept at inspiring and promoting our mission of improving the health and well-being of our communities by empowering each person to live their unique best life.
Servant Leadership - Leads with purpose; has personal direction and is not easily sidetracked by details and workload. Demonstrates strong commitment to the success of the organization, and is willing to make personal sacrifices to contribute to that success. Tells the truth and is described by others as honest; consistently takes responsibility for his/her actions. Handles criticism effectively; does not act threatened or get overly defensive when others are critical or provide feedback. Pursues, responds to and uses feedback. Is a willing and patient listener and is open to feedback. Genuinely cares about people; is concerned about their work and non-work problems.
Strategic Agility and Innovation- Effectively uses complex mental processes. Is skilled at analyzing problems and
making clear decisions. Is skilled at problem identification. Is insightful; sees things from new angles. Intellectually sharp, capable and agile. Balances short-term payoff with long-term improvement. Embraces flexibility and new ideas, generates new ideas and creates innovative solutions. Adjusts to change easily. Thinks "out of the box." Learns quickly when facing new problems. Maintains and fosters in others an understanding of the business environment as well as an awareness of economic, religious, social and political trends that may impact the organization.
Bias for Action - Is adept at planning, implementing and evaluating. Can marshal resources (people, funding, material support) to get things done. Makes tough decisions in a timely manner. Adept at taking risks. Visionary; seizes new opportunities and consistently generates new ideas. Introduces and creates needed change even in the face of opposition. Has the courage to take a stand when others disagree, go against the status quo and persevere in the face of opposition. Knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network.
Developing Others - Uses effective listening skills and communication to involve others, build consensus and influence others. Effectively develops others by generating their commitment to goals, entrusting them with decision-making and creating structures to enable them to accomplish their work. Effectively delegates responsibility and allows employees the freedom to learn from their experiences. Coaches and encourages employees to develop in their careers. Gets factions with competing perspectives to learn from one another. Creates leaders able to carry forth mission.
Leading Change - Ensures that all team members in the organization clearly understand the overall strategic imperative driving change for their specific group and for the organization as a whole. Ensures that all team members understand how change impacts them and know what they can do to improve their ability to be successful during nonstop change. Ensures that all team members understand the difference between change and transition, and know how to get themselves through transition on an ongoing basis. Links and engages all levels of leadership in the organization to ensure the entire organization embraces the short-, medium- and long-term strategy both in times of prosperity and crisis. Must embrace and personalize the LifeInspired movement, our values and principles of the organization.
Leading Transition - Creates the conditions for a culture that demonstrates responsive awareness and purposeful flexibility so that the organization can be effective in its transition. Continuously links all the changes to the current strategic initiatives that will result in the realization of the overall strategic direction. Owns the communication flow for the changes and continually finds ways to improve the inflow and outflow of change related information throughout the organization. Intentionally leads individuals, teams and the organization through the transition the changes are creating. Creates a culture of hope in the uncertain reality of transition.
Coach and Leader - Has successfully, through an empowering team approach, built a strong, customer focused team of directors, managers and employees that executives, operations managers and other team members like to work with and seek out for advice and counsel. It is a values-based approach where one “rolls up his/her sleeves” expecting high performance and accountability from all members of the team. Becomes a teacher of others highlighting exceptional performance and learnings from both favorable and unfavorable outcomes.
Communication Skills - Possesses excellent oral, written and one-on-one communication skills. Holds others at all levels accountable. Has the courage and is able to articulate constructive feedback about actions and performance to direct reports and others at all levels. Is able to make clear, concise and easily understood presentations to the corporate board and senior leadership, as well as at the physician, clinical and day-to-day operational levels. The ability to make the complex simple. A strong and active listener.
- Education – MD or DO and Board Certified in specialty certification by a American Board of Medical or Surgical Specialty.
- Active, unrestricted license to practice in Wisconsin.
- MBA, MS, MHA or similar degree or progress toward one is preferred but not required.
- Five (3-5) years of progressively more responsible experience required. Demonstrated leadership experience in management and/or medical staff management roles, Knowledge of management theory and health care trends and an understanding of Medical Staff governance and peer review required. Previous experience in Medical Staff leadership role required. Matrixed organizational experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of hospital medical practice operations.
- Knowledge of strategic and operational planning, quality, healthcare economics, financial management, management of others, regulatory requirements and current trends in the health care industry.
- Experience leading patient experience and cultural safety initiatives.
- Proven ability to lead and influence change management initiatives.
- Work requires highly developed interpersonal skills in order to deal effectively with physicians, employees and a wide range of external contacts (e.g. Board members, non-employed physicians, government officials and community groups.) Ability to understand and have a “sense of the appropriate” in difficult situations is required.
- Collaborative team player with an ability to positively influence others.
- An in-depth understanding and successful track record in quality assurance and utilization review actives required.
- Analytical abilities necessary to evaluate impact of proposed changes in the operations of the Hospital required.
- Ability to plan, implement and monitor processes in a complex health care environment, including knowledge of hospital IDC-10 coding, billing and documentation standards.
- Strong EMR experience, with Epic experience preferred.
- Strong bias for action and results.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills required.
The Fox Valley of Wisconsin includes Appleton, Neenah, Menasha, and is comprised of a total of 19 unique communities positioned along the scenic Fox River and Lake Winnebago. This area offers the charm, safety, and convenience of small town life with the diversity and vitality of a metropolitan area.
The Fox Valley is the proud home of notable school systems, colleges, and is known across Wisconsin as THE place for shopping. Downtown Appleton, the Fox River Mall and many other retail destinations are a draw for shoppers from all over Wisconsin and beyond. In addition, the region features vibrant cultural venues, a year-round calendar of exciting events, one-of-a-kind museums and fantastic outdoor recreation.
The Fox Valley is a community where live music, art, and creativity thrive. There are many events throughout the year to partake in, such as Mile of Music, Octoberfest, night markets, marathons, Art on the Town, summer concerts, outdoor movies, parades, weekly Farmer's Market events and more.
Appleton International Airport located in Appleton, and Austin Straubel Airport in Green Bay offer modern facilities and convenient access to all the Midwest hubs. A few additional airport hubs in the region are Central Wisconsin Airport in Mosinee, General Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee, and Dane County Regional Airport in Madison.
Modern, interstate highway systems provide quick, easy access to larger metropolitan areas:
- Distance to Green Bay: 30 miles
- Distance to Milwaukee: 107 miles
- Distance to Madison: 106 miles
- Distance to Chicago, IL: 197 miles
- Distance to Minneapolis, MN: 285 miles