Primary Care Outpatient Practice Opportunity
The Birmingham, AL VA Medical Center is searching for BE/BC Family Medicine/Internal Medicine Physicians to join their dynamic healthcare team.
Position is located at the Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) in Birmingham, AL.
Duties include but are not limited to:
* Primary Care physicians work as a member of a multidisciplinary health care team, collaborating with other members of the team to provide medical care to veterans enrolled on the team
* The physician is expected to demonstrate advance competencies and skills in assessing the physical and psychological status of patients
* He/ she will provide comprehensive patient assessment, health history, physical examination, and patient education to veterans in the Primary Care team setting
* As a Physician you will provide prescribed medical treatment and personal care services to ill and injured veterans
* Physician will document observations, assessments, and changes in patient's condition
*Collaborate with other health team members to facilitate positive patient care outcomes
* Provide a full range of care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavior problems
* Accountable for meeting and maintaining the qualification standards and functional statements of assigned grade
Our facility is seeking individuals who possess good organizational skills which enable completion of work, a demonstrated ability to assume leadership in a patient centered program, and the ability to establish effective communication with patients, families, visitors and members of the interdisciplinary team.
Work Schedule: Full Time. 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Monday - Friday)
Salary Range: Up to $243,000 per year
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives may be authorized
Selected candidate may be eligible for student loan repayment thru the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP). Participation is based on funds availability.
a. Citizenship: Citizen of the United States. (Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens)
b. Education: Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
c. Licensure and Registration: A current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia is required
e. Physical Standards: A pre-placement physical examination shall be completed prior to appointment to determine the physical and mental fitness for candidates for appointment in VA. Terminal physical examinations of applicants separated from the U.S. Armed Forces within 90 days of appointment may be substituted for a pre-employment physical exam.
f. English Language Proficiency; Physicians, including residents, appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered. For more information please visit us at http://www.va.gov/JOBS/Job_Benefits/benefits.asp.
The Birmingham VA Medical Center (BVAMC) is a 313-bed acute tertiary care facility located in the historic Southside district of the city. The facility provides acute tertiary medical and surgical care to Veterans of Alabama and surrounding states. The medical center serves as a referral center for this population area with 139 operating beds currently. Recent construction provides state-of-the-art facilities and equipment in all clinical programs. Care is provided in practically all medical and surgical specialties and subspecialties. Most staff physicians have joint appointments with VA and its primary affiliation, University of Alabama at Birmingham. The BVAMC operates nine Community Based Outpatient Clinics in North Alabama.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Samford University
- Tuskegee University
- University of Alabama
- University of South Alabama
- Auburn University
- Vanderbilt University
- Florida State University
- 313 Authorized
Type of Facility
- Tertiary Care
- Palliative Care
- Open Heart Surgery
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Nuclear Medicine
- Mental Health Clinic
- Home Based Primary Care
- Southeastern Blind Rehabilitation Center
- Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC)
- Research and Development
Department of Veterans Affairs offers Veterans the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the United States. We operate more than 1,400 sites of care, including 153 medical centers, 909 ambulatory and community-based outpatient clinics, 135 nursing homes, 232 Veterans centers, 47 readjustment counseling centers, and 108 comprehensive home-care programs, across all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S.Territories.
More than 7.9 million Veterans, their family members, and survivors are enrolled in the VA Health System, with more than 6.3 million seeking treatment each year. Currently, that annual treatment involves 773,600 inpatient visits and 60 million outpatient visits. About 250,000 full-time employees and 90,000 health professional trainees work in interdisciplinary care teams to deliver those patient services daily.
VA's patient population crosses a wide spectrum of individuals, from elderly World War II Veterans, to baby boomer Vietnam Vets, to today's younger heroes who served during the Gulf War era and in the present day Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. VA also serves a growing number of women Veterans, who currently account for seven percent of the total Veteran population.
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave
- 13 Days paid sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation
- 10 paid Federal holidays per year
- 5 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA) Lifetime Healthcare Insurance options available
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits, 2) FERS-RAE basic benefits (pension), and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee’s salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee’s salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2020, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $19,500, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $25,500.
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years’ service