Advanced Practice Nurse in Richmond, VA
ADVANCED PRACTICE NURSE
Department: NURSE ADMIN
Hours: 8 Hour Shifts, Some Weekends
The Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) at St. Mary’s Hospital is a professional nurse prepared at a Masters level
in nursing with expertise in a specific area of clinical nursing practice. By definition, ‘Advanced practice
nursing is the application of an expanded range of practical, theoretical, and research-based competencies to
phenomena experienced by patients within a specialized clinical area of the larger discipline of nursing’
(Hamric, Spross, and Hanson, 2005). Within St. Mary’s, the foundational elements of the professional practice
model are reflected through the core APN competencies, i.e., clinical and professional leadership, ethical
decision making, expert coaching and guidance, direct
clinical practice, research, consultation, and collaboration, as the APN:
- Actualizes quality patient outcomes within the institution and community through utilization of advanced knowledge, preparation, skills, experience, and expanded practice base;
- Analyzes the practice setting in a continuous improvement framework, initiating and evaluating the impact of change;
- Ensures continuity among all areas of the health care system;
- Establishes and maintains standards of evidence-based practice at the client, unit hospital, corporate, community and national levels;
- Provides innovative and collaborative leadership in professional and clinical practice by role modeling, mentoring, and serving as a consultant;
- Adapts to change and develops strategies in building and maintaining an expanded population centered practice base;
- Initiates and participates in strategic planning at all levels of the health care system;
- Analyzes, interprets, and presents comparative clinical and aggregate data and facilitates and interprets research, incorporating appropriate findings into practice;
- Coordinates, facilitates, provides and evaluates patient, staff and health management education programs;
- Serves as a patient and family advocate ensuring continuity among all areas of the health care system; and
- Facilitates the integration of ethical/legal concepts into the practice of self and others.
- Masters degree from an accredited school of Nursing.
- Currently registered as a Clinical Nurse Specialist, licensed as a Nurse Practitioner or eligible to initiate the application process in the State of Virginia.
- Three – five years experience in area of specialty, inclusive of healthcare research.
- Word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation program abilities.
- Oral/written skills and previous work experience communicating complex theoretical and technical concepts to healthcare members, developing and presenting formal educational programs, and effectively collaborating with other healthcare members.
- Demonstrated group facilitation, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Current CPR certification.
Established in 1966, Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital is a 391-bed facility located in Richmond’s Near West End. St. Mary’s has 1,200 associated physicians who provide over 75,000 outpatient visits annually. The hospital has a service area containing approximately 1.3 million people and primarily serves residents of the City of Richmond and Chesterfield, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, and Louisa Counties.
Highlights of the hospital include:
- Point of care testing in the Emergency Department to provide lab results and imaging in minutes.
- 28-bed Neuroscience Telemetry Unit & Neuroscience Step-down Unit, with exclusively private rooms.
- State of the art, 64 slice CT scanner adjoining the Emergency Department for ultra-fast head imaging.
- Bi-Plane interventional imaging system for cerebral angiography, delivery of intra-arterial thrombolytics & use of the MERCI ischemic stroke clot removal system.
Richmond provides easy access to the amenities of a large urban setting as well as an easy commute for those seeking a more rural lifestyle. Within two hours of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Atlantic Ocean and Washington D.C., Richmond is uniquely situated within Central Virginia. It is home to the State Capital, Washington Redskins Training Facility, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and countless cultural, food, and music festivals. The area offers a wide range of entertainment, recreational, and leisure activities usually found in much larger cities and consistently ranks as one of the top places in the country to live, work, and play!
Bon Secours Health Care System is a robust not-for-profit Catholic Health Care system with numerous locations spread throughout six states. Bon Secours, which means “good help” in French, lives through our hospitals, medical facilities, and care provided to our patients. Our system continues to be dedicated to providing compassionate quality healthcare to those in need and has been the passion of the Sisters of Bon Secours since 1824. While the ministry has evolved throughout the years, the values at the heart of Bon Secours remain the same. We believe patients heal better when they know their caregivers care. And we do.
|E-mail:||Click here to e-mail.|